[SydPhil] Robin Findlay Hendry, "The Metaphysics of Chemistry" @ UOW

Patrick McGivern patrickm at uow.edu.au
Thu Nov 22 13:12:42 AEDT 2012

Robin Findlay Hendry (Durham) will be presenting a paper at the University of Wollongong's Philosophy Research Seminar series on December 6th. All are welcome to attend.

Title: The Metaphysics of Chemistry

When & Where: Thursday, December 6th, 3:30pm in room 19.1003 at the University of Wollongong.

Abstract: Microstructuralism is the thesis that the molecular structure of a chemical substance is what makes it what it is. I defend microstructuralism on the grounds that structure is central to modern chemistry: it provides the only systematic basis for nomenclature, classification, and explanation. None of this is to deny that there are other ways to think about substances: it is just that none of these is as good for understanding what substances are made of, and what they do.

--
Dr. Patrick McGivern
Lecturer in Philosophy
e: patrickm at uow.edu.au