[SydPhil] Current Projects: A Tale of Two Moralities

Kristie Miller kristie_miller at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 13 17:18:47 AEDT 2012

Dear all,

This coming Monday's current projects will be Thomas Dougherty:

 A Tale of Two Moralities

What is the the nature of morality? I distinguish two views we can take of this. On one view, which dominates contemporary discussion, morality is a system of guidance: as such, moral requirements are  grounded in reasons for action. On the other view, which was more popular in previous eras, morality is a system of sanctions: moral requirements are grounded in reasons for sanctions. I proceed to argue that conceiving of morality as sanctions has a distinctive theoretical advantage: it allows us to provide an attractive foundation for common deontological intuitions.

1.00-2.30 in the philosophy common room.

Dr. Kristie Miller
University of Sydney
Senior Research Fellow
School of Philosophical and Historical Inquiry and
The Centre for Time
The University of Sydney
Sydney Australia
Room 407, A 14