[SydPhil] Anthony Steinbock @ UNSW: Distinctive Structure of the Moral Emotions‹On Trust, Monday 8 October

Joanne Faulkner j.faulkner at unsw.edu.au
Thu Sep 27 11:35:27 AEST 2012

[cid:736BDBE9-DDDD-46DB-8371-6333127477DA]

Professor Anthony Steinbock

Distinctive Structure of the Moral Emotions—On Trust

Monday 8 October, 4 p.m.
Faculty Conference Room, 310 Morven Brown building

This paper inquires into the emotional sphere of experience, and asks whether emotional acts have their own structure of evidence and are revelatory of the person, or are instead dependent upon a rational structure of experience in order to have meaning.  To do this, I describe what is at stake in the moral emotions having a distinctive structure.  I limit myself to one example of an emotional experience—trust —examining it with attention to three features, namely, otherness, temporality, and the modality of possibility.  In this way, I can suggest the extent to which acts of the emotional sphere have a unique structure such that they are not merely modifications of perceptual belief or rational acts of knowing.

Anthony Steinbock is a Professor of Philosophy at the University of Southern Illinois, and Director of the Phenomenology Research Centre. He is the author of Home and Beyond: Generative Phenomenology after Husserl (Northwestern University Press, 1995), Phenomenology and Mysticism: The Verticality ofReligious Experience (Indiana University Press, 2007), and articles on political, social and phenomenological philosophy. He is Editor-in-Chief of Continental Philosophy Review, General Editor of Northwestern University Press SPEP Series, and on the Executive Committee of the Society for Phenomenology and Existential Philosophy (SPEP).

The seminar will take place in Morven Brown Room 310, at 4 p.m., and will be followed by a reception (map ref. C20: http://www.facilities.unsw.edu.au/Maps/pdf/kensington.pdf).

All are welcome, but please RSVP to Joanne Faulkner, j.faulkner at unsw.edu.au<mailto:j.faulkner at unsw.edu.au> for the purposes of catering.

Dr Joanne Faulkner
ARC DECRA Research Fellow