[SydPhil] Philosophy @ UNSW, Tuesday : Heikki Ikaheimo, "Hegel's Concept of Recognition -- What is it?"

Joanne Faulkner j.faulkner at unsw.edu.au
Thu Sep 20 15:05:24 AEST 2012

[cid:72004D07-E5C9-4769-91C1-1C0B3305FD16]

Date:               Tuesday 25 September
Time:              1 p.m.
Venue:           Morven Brown LG28, University of NSW
(Map ref. C20: (1.7MB)<http://www.facilities.unsw.edu.au/Maps/pdf/kensington.pdf>)

Dr Heikki Ikaheimo (UNSW)

Hegel’s Concept of Recognition – What Is It?
Much has been written, during the last 20 years or so, about something called “recognition”. But is the talk of a “recognition-theoretical paradigm” in social and political philosophy justified? What would make such talk justified? Certainly it would help if the most central concept or concepts of the proposed paradigm were defined well enough to provide a common reference point for at least an organized debate about and contestation of those concepts. Is this the case with the concept of recognition? But more importantly for the purposes of this paper, what guidance can we find in Hegel for attempts at conceptual clarification and conceptual unification of the contemporary recognition-discourses into something that one could comfortably call a ‘paradigm’?
    I will proceed by analysing one important text by Hegel in which whatever it is that Hegel means by ‘recognition’ (Anerkennung) plays a central role. My intention is, on the one hand, to show that even in this relatively short text what exactly ‘recognition’ means is a highly complicated matter, and, on the other hand, to sort out at least some of the different issues at stake. This should be useful both for figuring out what really is going on in Hegel’s text and for trying to speak in a more consciously differentiated manner about the plurality of phenomena that may be at issue when we talk of ‘recognition’ in contemporary discourses.

Heikki Ikaheimo is an ARC Australian Research Fellow and Senior Lecturer in the School of Humanities, UNSW. He has edited a number of books and written articles on personhood and recognition theory, and is presently engaged in an international collaboration, 'The Social Ontology of Personhood - A Recognition-theoretical Account.'

Coordinator:
Dr Joanne Faulkner, j.faulkner at unsw.edu.au<mailto:j.faulkner at unsw.edu.au>
School of Humanities

Dr Joanne Faulkner