[SydPhil] Philosophy Seminar tomorrow: Andrew Moore, "Ethical Theory"

Joanne Faulkner j.faulkner at unsw.edu.au
Thu Aug 23 10:51:17 AEST 2012

***Apologies for cross-listing***

[cid:C35F2CF1-53F2-4E9C-8B2E-734F2F61878E]

Andrew Moore (Otago University, New Zealand)

Ethical Theory

I examine the nature of theories that propose necessary and sufficient conditions for right and wrong action. I advance a rival to the widespread view that to offer such a theory is to offer an account of what makes acts right or wrong. Second, I consider the under-examined issue of what features it is desirable for an ethical theory to have, and argue that the following are pro tanto desirable: plausibility, confirmation, power, explanatoriness, determinacy, consistency and practicality. Third, I deploythese desirable features in partial appraisals of some leading contemporaryethical theories.

Andrew Moore lectures in ethics, ethical theory, and philosophy of mind at Otago University. His research interests include ethical theory, practical ethics, political philosophy and philosophy of mind. He is the founding chair of New Zealand’s National Ethics Advisory Committee, and has published articles in Bioethics, The Australasian Journal of Philosophy, and Ethical Theory and Moral Practice, among other journals.

1 p.m. Friday 24 August
Morven Brown Bldg, Room 112
(map ref. C20: http://www.facilities.unsw.edu.au/Maps/pdf/kensington.pdf)

contact: j.faulkner at unsw.edu.au<mailto:j.faulkner at unsw.edu.au>