[SydPhil] SCMMCS: Goetz Richter, Wed August 22, 4pm

Goetz Richter goetz.richter at sydney.edu.au
Tue Aug 21 13:59:36 AEST 2012

Sydney Conservatorium of Music,

Macquarie Street

Room 3003

Musicology Seminar

"Music vs Philosophy: New lights on an old quarrel"

Goetz Richter

This paper will take its starting point from Plato's identification of the "ancient quarrel between philosophy and poetry", a quarrel that has always and often embroiled music (and musicians!). I will try to show that such a quarrel is entirely unnecessary and in fact fundamentally confused. In the place of aggressive combat I will be outlining a view of an erotic attraction between music and philosophy, arguing for an elective affinity and a yearning of a special kind that has inspired musicians and philosophers from time to time. While music is often conceived as a non-conceptual art of inspiration involving emotion and is pitched against philosophy as a triumphant discipline of reason and conceptualisation, plenty of evidence points the other way and towards entirely different characteristics, yielding surprising results for both endeavours. I progress my argument with particular reference to Plato, Parmenides, Schopenhauer, Hanslick, Beethoven, Wagner, Nietzsche, Thomas Mann and Adorno.

Wednesday August 22, 4pm. Room 3003 (near Verbrugghen Entrance).

Refreshments will be served afterwards.

All welcome.

Goetz Richter Kstl. Staatsdip. | BA (Hons I) | PhD
Associate Professor Violin
SYDNEY UNIVERSITY | SYDNEY CONSERVATORIUM OF MUSIC
Building C 41 | SYDNEY UNIVERSITY NSW 2006
email: goetz.richter at sydney.edu.au<mailto:grichter at usyd.edu.au> | Phone: (02) 9351 1293

Visit my blog on the philosophy of music:  http://blogs.usyd.edu.au/thinkmusic

This e-mail message and any attachments to it are confidential and may be privileged. If you receive this e-mail in error, please delete the message and any attachments. Any unauthorised use, dissemination, distribution or copying of the message and its attachments is prohibited.