[SydPhil] Philosophy at UNSW, Tuesday 12 June: Peter Gratton (Memorial University)

Joanne Faulkner j.faulkner at unsw.edu.au
Sat Jun 9 15:58:00 AEST 2012

***Apologies for cross-listing***

[X]Professor Peter Gratton (Memorial University, Canada)

Speculative Realism: Bad Timing

Speculative realism is perhaps the most widely discussed recent movement in Continental philosophy. In this discussion, I will first lay out the salutary nature of the movement, in particular, how it joins with ecological studies and the new materialisms to think the very real things around and in us. This means thinking through what Quentin Meillassoux calls the "critique of correlationism." My contention, though, is that Meillassoux and Graham Harman, the two most prominent speculative realists, though quite different in trajectory, provide misguided conceptions of time. In the last section of my discussion, I'll argue for a conception of a "real time" running through the thinkers they two quickly leave behind as supposed anti-realists, namely Heidegger and Derrida, that, despite the radical claims of Meillassoux and Harman, have indeed stood the test of time.

Peter Gratton is a professor of Philosophy at the Memorial University of Newfoundland. He has published articles in political and Continental philosophy and is the author of The State of Sovereignty: Lessons from the Political Fictions of Modernity (SUNY Press, 2012) and Speculative Realism (Continuum, forthcoming). Co-Editor of the journal Society and Space (Environmental Planning D), Peter is also the editor of Traversing the Imaginary (Northwestern University Press, 2007), co-edited with John Mannousakis, and Jean-Luc Nancy and Plural Thinking: Expositions of World, Politics, Art, and Sense (SUNY Press, 2012), co-edited with Marie-Eve Morin. Currently Peter is a Research Fellow in the Humanities Centre at Australia National University.

1 p.m. Tuesday 12 June
Morven Brown Bldg, Room 112
(map ref. C20: http://www.facilities.unsw.edu.au/Maps/pdf/kensington.pdf)

contact: j.faulkner at unsw.edu.au