[SydPhil] University of Sydney Postgraduate Colloquium Paper - Jun 04

Tama Coutts Iliketora at rocketmail.com
Thu May 31 21:57:59 AEST 2012

Hey All,

Here are
the details for next week's talk. This will be the final talk for this semester.

Speaker: Johann Hariman

Title: A Ground-Theoretic Approach to the Fundamentality Question
 Abstract:

The
fundamentality question asks whether there is a most fundamental layer
of reality. Cameron claims that while the prominent intuition favours an affirmative answer, convincing arguments for the affirmative answer are lacking. Cameron offers a tentative argument by appeal to theoretical utility to the effect that the affirmative answer is contingently true. This paper approaches the fundamentality question from a different angle. Rather
than defend some answer, I frame the question ground-theoretically. I then provide a taxonomy of views that makes
clear what theses about grounding are congenial to one answer or
another.

Talk
Details:

Time:
3pm, Mon Jun 04

Location:
Philosophy common-room, quadrangle building, University of Sydney

Cheers,

Tama