[Metabolomics] A metabolomics course as Open Learning Environment initiative

Ann Kwan ann.kwan at sydney.edu.au
Thu Oct 27 12:59:50 AEDT 2016

Dear metabolomics researchers,

As some of you know, our NMR Facility at SOLES has recently been
upgraded with a SampleJet (robot for storing and running NMR samples)
and a Janus liquid handling robot thanks to a LIEF bid. Both of these
are now working and the latest SampleJet temperature control unit
(capable of heating/cooling each rack independently) is scheduled to be
installed at the end of the year.

We have received a number of enquiries thus far and a significant of
users/potential users have asked about training options. Currently
training for spectrometer operation is provided for free (spectrometer
usage fees are charged per hour) and users are expected to analyse their
own data.

However, given the enquiries I have received, I am wondering if there
are merits in developing online course focused on metabolomics study
design and data analysis using MS and NMR. It seems our uni currently
doesn't run such a course but they exist at other institutions.

E.g.
https://www.ebi.ac.uk/training/events/2016/embo-practical-course-metabolomics-bioinformatics-life-scientists-2
http://metabolomics.ucdavis.edu/courses-and-seminars/courses

We are new to the area of NMR metabolomics and it would be a great
opportunity for us to learn and collaborate. My plan is to ask existing
metabolomics academics on and off campus (including Honorary staff)
contribute to the design and provide material for this course.

The learning and assessment will be online based. I recently attend a
NMR workshops at UQ and have recorded ~16 hours of lectures by David
Wishart (ANZMAG 2016 lecturer, University of Alberta) and plan to edit
them during summer break. I also have some resources from the practical
sessions.

The expression of interest for OLE will be due tomorrow (Oct 28) so I
just like to get an idea if 1) you'd like to contribute to the course
and 2) you or your students would be interested in enrolling in such a
course.

It'd be great if you can let me know before 12 pm on Oct 28.

Thanks and regards,
Ann.

--
ANN KWAN | Research Fellow | NMR Facility Manager
School of Life and Environmental Sciences
E ann.kwan at sydney.edu.au
W http://sydney.edu.au/science/molecular_bioscience/nmr/index.php

CRICOS 00026A
This email plus any attachments to it are confidential. Any unauthorised
use is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please
delete it and any attachments.
Please think of our environment and only print this e-mail if necessary.