[Limdep Nlogit List] Is a multinomial logit model with selection applicable here?

William Greene wgreene at stern.nyu.edu
Thu Feb 17 01:51:34 AEDT 2022

James.  Selection into the estimation sample is not supposed to be one of
the choices.  Your
choice set should not include "no trip."  On the other hand, if you want to
include NO TRIP
as one of the choices, then I suspect you should not be using the selection
model.  This is not
well defined for the selection model.  In theory, the selectivity treatment
is trying to isolate the
difference in trip choices between those "selected" and those "not
selected."  But, none of
your non-selected observations made a trip, so the comparison is not
possible.
/B. Greene

--
William Greene
Department of Economics, emeritus
Email: wgreene at stern.nyu.edu
Editor in Chief: Journal of Productivity Analysis
<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/NC3zCoV1kpfrzgMmRtVbiFz?domain=springer.com>
<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/NC3zCoV1kpfrzgMmRtVbiFz?domain=springer.com>
Editor in Chief: Foundations and Trends in Econometrics
Associate Editor: Economics Letters
Associate Editor: Journal of Business and Economic Statistics