[Limdep Nlogit List] Censored normal distribution in Mixed Logit and its correlation

William Greene wgreene at stern.nyu.edu
Sun Oct 31 01:10:38 AEDT 2021

Dear Kar Lim.  First, I'll assume you mean that the coefficients on "A" and
"B" are random with normal and censored normal distributions.
(1).  beta(i) = Min(0,beta+sigma*w(i)) where w(i) ~ N[0,1].  In your
example,
beta = .5 and sigma = 2.  The mean E[beta(i)] is somewhere left of zero.
You can use the laws of probability, E[.] = 0*Prob(beta+sigma*w(i)>=0)
+ Prob(<0) * E[<=0], which is a little involved.  The actual value for your
example is about -0.6.  What is reported is the (beta,sigma).
(2) The correlation matrix applies to the underlying primitives.  For your
example, if the coefficient on A is gamma = .3 + 3*v(i), the correlation
reported is that between gamma and (beta+sigma*w(i)).  The correlation
of the truncated variable will be somewhat less, since after the truncation,
there is variation in gamma that is not accompanied by variation in
beta_sigma*w.
I'm not sure a positive correlation could always mean
"a person who likes A tends to like B."
For your specific examples, I would say that a positive correlation of the
primitives
would indeed accompany a positive correlation of gamma with beta.  I'm not
sure
about your qualitative interpretation, however.
Regards,
Bill Greene

--
William Greene
Department of Economics, emeritus
Email: wgreene at stern.nyu.edu
Editor in Chief: Journal of Productivity Analysis
<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/3rXWCK1DvKT2zn939F3mibV?domain=springer.com>
<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/3rXWCK1DvKT2zn939F3mibV?domain=springer.com>
Editor in Chief: Foundations and Trends in Econometrics
Associate Editor: Economics Letters
Associate Editor: Journal of Business and Economic Statistics