[Limdep Nlogit List] Request to help with estimating marginal effects

William Greene wgreene at stern.nyu.edu
Wed Dec 18 02:12:02 AEDT 2019

Ashu:
1.  The calculation of the elasticities has always been the same.
2.  Yes.  But, keep in mind, you are computing partial effects for an
average
coefficient, since the coefficients are random.
3.  I don't quite understand this question.  But, you only need to fit the
model
once, then you can follow with more than one SIMULATE command.
Regards,
Bill Greene

On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 7:08 PM Ashu Kedia <ashu.kedia at pg.canterbury.ac.nz>
wrote:

> Hi Professor William Greene,
> I hope you are doing well.
>
> I am Ashu Kedia, a PhD student in transportation engineering at the
> University of Canterbury, New Zealand.
>
> I am having a few doubts regarding marginal effects calculation. It will
> be a great help if you could clarify my doubts.
>

> 1.       I am using Nlogit 5 version to carry out estimations, but have
> been following the Hensher et al. (2005) book to understand the process,
> which might have used Nlogit 3 version.
>
> The book says (on pg. 398 and 399) that the Marginal effects as reported
> are ‘true marginal effects multiplied by 100’. So, we need to divide the
> reported values by 100 to obtain the true marginal effect value. Now, I
> presume that this is applicable to that particular version of the software
> (i.e. Nlogit 3 or 4).
>

> However, I am using Nlogit 5 version, and it is not clear to me whether
> the above convention is applicable to the marginal effects results given by
> the Nlogit 5 version as well?
>
> I am asking this because the marginal effects obtained in my study are
> already very small in magnitude. For example: they vary between 0.08 and
> 1.06. If I divide such small values by 100, it will be exceptionally small.
>
> Is this not uncommon?
>
> Could you please advise on this?
>

> 2.       The examples of marginal effects calculations given in the book,
> Hensher et al. (2005), are for the MNL model specification. Do the syntax
> remains the same if marginal effects are calculated for a mixed logit model?
>

> 3.       Hensher et al. (2005) book has shown two different methods to
> calculate marginal effects for continuous-level data and categorically
> coded data.
>
> Details of attributes and levels adopted in my study are as follows:
>
> Alternatives: 2
>
> Attributes: continuous (e.g. cost, time, etc.) – 4 attributes with 3
> levels in each; categorical (i.e. qualitative attributes; e.g. type of a
> facility, such as residential or commercial) – 3 attributes with 2 levels
> in each.
>
> Model type: Mixed logit model with heterogeneity in mean
>
> Marginal effect estimation method: ;Pwt (probability weighted average)
>

> Question : I have estimated the marginal effects of the continuous level
> attributes, using the method given on page no. 397 (but applying changes to
> the syntax that are required to estimate a mixed logit model).
>
>                      To estimate the marginal effects for the
> categorically coded variables, the book shows the ‘Simulation’ method to be
> used.
>

> However, when we use these two different methods separately to estimate
> marginal effects (i.e. once for continuous variables and then for
> categorical variables), two sets of coefficient values (i.e. parameter
> estimates for the model) are obtained. But we need only one set of
> coefficients for the estimated model. Which one of those two sets of
> [...]

William Greene
Department of Economics, emeritus
Stern School of Business, New York University
44 West 4 St.
New York, NY, 10012
Email: wgreene at stern.nyu.edu
Ph. +1.646.596.3296
Editor in Chief: Journal of Productivity Analysis
Editor in Chief: Foundations and Trends in Econometrics
Associate Editor: Economics Letters
Associate Editor: Journal of Business and Economic Statistics