[Limdep Nlogit List] On the standard errors of the average partial effects after NLOGIT

William Greene wgreene at stern.nyu.edu
Thu Apr 18 02:22:15 AEST 2019

Nieves.  NLOGIT has been extended since version 4.  Regarding elasticities,
there are two measures of variation.  The first is the "standard deviation"
you
describe below.  The second is the asymptotic variance that derives from the
theory of the MLE.  NLOGIT 4 did not compute these.  NLOGIT 6 does.  The
meaning of the hypothesis that an elasticity equals zero in the context of
the
model remains ambiguous.  But, you can obtain these asymptotic standard
errors with NLOGIT 6.
Regards
Bill Greene

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 12:08 PM Nieves Valdés via Limdep <
limdep at mailman.sydney.edu.au> wrote:

> Hi there!
> I'm interested in using nlogit, specifically because I need to compute
> marginal effects and their standard errors.
> I'm looking at the Student Reference Guide of Nlogit 4.0 and it says "The
> standard deviations are not the asymptotic standard errors for the
> estimators of the marginal effects...Computing an appropriate standard
> error for that statistic is difficult to impossible...The hypothesis that a
> variable is not influential in the determination of the choices should be
> tested at the coefficient level."
> Is this correct? Is this also the case in Nlogit 6.0?
> Thanks in advance!
> Best Regards
> Nieves
> Limdep at mailman.sydney.edu.au

William Greene
Department of Economics
Stern School of Business, New York University
44 West 4 St., 7-90
New York, NY, 10012
Email: wgreene at stern.nyu.edu
Ph. +1.212.998.0876
Editor in Chief: Journal of Productivity Analysis
Editor in Chief: Foundations and Trends in Econometrics
Associate Editor: Economics Letters
Associate Editor: Journal of Business and Economic Statistics
Associate Editor: Journal of Choice Modeling