[Limdep Nlogit List] Joint logit Model in Nlogit

William Greene wgreene at stern.nyu.edu
Thu Sep 13 06:06:23 AEST 2018

Minal.
It is not established in this thread what is a "joint logit model?"  I do
not see the formulation
(equations) of a model that has these two models as components in something
that is
different from two separate MNL models.  That has to be nailed down before
we can talk
about how to estimate it.  To the point, what is correlated with what that
makes this pair of
settings different from a pair of MNL models.  As it stands now, since they
are indeed just
two logit models, the way to set it up is to have the first 500 rows be the
travel mode data,
then rows 501 to 800 be be the data for the location data.  Then,
SAMPLE;1-500$ followed by the travel mode analysis, then
SAMPLE; 501-800 $ followed by the residential location modeling.
If you want to follow the suggestion of folding the data into one decision,
you will have to
have a 5x3 = 15 alternative choice model.  I'm not yet convinced that this
would be
plausible.  Likewise, a nested logit with travel in one branch and location
in the other is also
a nonstarter, since here, every individual would be choosing both branches.
Regards
Bill Greene

On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 2:25 PM, minal srivastava via Limdep <
limdep at mailman.sydney.edu.au> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> In case of forming a joint logit model for residential location choice and
> travel mode choice, how should my data format look like.
> I know for a MNL model or a Nested logit model, for each observation I
> need to convert to long data format ( depending upon the number of choice
> alternative). For e.g. for 100 observations with 5 travel mode choices, the
> total number of data input lines would be (5*100) =500.
>
> But in case of joint logit model, If I have 3 location choice alternatives
> and 5 travel mode choice alternative how should I prepare my data input
> file? Am I supposed to use two different data files, one with (3*100) 300
> input lines and other with (5*100) 500 input lines?
>
> Looking forward to your kind reply.

> Limdep at mailman.sydney.edu.au

William Greene
Department of Economics
Stern School of Business, New York University
44 West 4 St., 7-90
New York, NY, 10012
Email: wgreene at stern.nyu.edu
Ph. +1.212.998.0876
Editor in Chief: Journal of Productivity Analysis
Editor in Chief: Foundations and Trends in Econometrics
Associate Editor: Economics Letters
Associate Editor: Journal of Business and Economic Statistics
Associate Editor: Journal of Choice Modeling