[Limdep Nlogit List] Reference alternative of individual characteristics in the case of variable sized choice sets

Lixian Qian Lixian.Qian at xjtlu.edu.cn
Thu Dec 20 02:34:07 AEDT 2018

Dear Bill,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Maybe I used the wrong term of "reference alternative".

Please let me rephrase the problem.

When everyone has the same choice set, we normally interpret the income coefficient as "compared to those choosing the reference alternative of car", people with high income are more/less likely to choose bus/train.
As you can see, in the utility functions, we don't have the income part for the alternative of "car", which indicate the comparison reference is the income for "car" alternative.

It is unclear to me when the choice set varies, for example when "car" is unavailable for some people.
For these people who don't have "car" in their choice set, which alternative is compared against when interpreting the income effect for other alternatives (e.g. bus/train)?

Best,
Lixian