[Limdep Nlogit List] NLOGIT ;simulate

William Greene wgreene at stern.nyu.edu
Wed Apr 12 23:42:53 AEST 2017

Chris:
1.  The market shares are computed by computing and summing the
probabilities.
2.  The computation is not iterative.
3/4.  The parameters in an RP model are computed as they would be during
the estimation
iterations.  The probabilities are simulated by drawing from the underlying
distribution.
5. Error components are handled the same as random parameters.
3/4/5.  For the simulation, the probabilities are computed as if the
likelihood were being
computed - the data setup for the simulation scenario is made immediately
before the
probabilities are computed - e.g., if you specify a price to rise by 10% as
the scenario, the
entire data setup is done with the original data, then immediately before
computing the
probabilities, the data for the observation are suitably modified.
/Bill Greene

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 1:09 AM, Christopher Standen <
christopher.standen at sydney.edu.au> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for some help trying to understand how the NLOGIT ;simulate
> subcommand works. I can't find any information in the documentation.
>
> In particular:
> -       How are the market shares calculated?
> -       How many iterations are used for the simulation?
> -       For random parameters, does it use conditional or unconditional
> estimates?
> -       If unconditional, does it use the mean for every observation, or
> draw randomly from the distribution?
> -       How are error components handled?
>

> CHRIS STANDEN | PhD Candidate
> Institute of Transport and Logistics Studies | The University of Sydney
> Business School
>
> THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
> Building H73, The University of Sydney NSW 2006
> M +61 4 3177 6255 | F +61 2 9114 1683
> E christopher.standen at sydney.edu.au<mailto:christopher.
> standen at sydney.edu.au>  | W http://sydney.edu.au/business/
> itls/staff/christopher.standen
>
> Celebrating 25 years of ITLS: 1991-2016 http://youtu.be/s2D0T1crZwY
> ERA Rank 5 (Transportation and Freight Services)
> Join the ITLS group on LinkedIn<http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=682757>

> Limdep at limdep.itls.usyd.edu.au

William Greene
Department of Economics
Stern School of Business, New York University
44 West 4 St., 7-90
New York, NY, 10012
Email: wgreene at stern.nyu.edu
Ph. +1.212.998.0876