[Limdep Nlogit List] Latent class problems

William Greene wgreene at stern.nyu.edu
Tue Mar 16 04:21:35 EST 2010

Dear Soren.
You should have constant terms in your model.
Add ;RH2=ONE to the command. That may not work, however, which
might suggest that the latent class model is not appropriate for
your data. On the results below. the 806 with 2 classes can be
taken as harmless if you have gone through a substantial number
of iterations - say more than 10. The results with 4 will be OK
if the suggested fix above gets you results with 3. Otherwise,
you probably should not trust the 4 class results. Overall, the
singular covariance matrix suggests to me that at least one of
the classes is ending up with a trivial amount of mass, meaning
that there are too many classes.
B. Greene