[Limdep Nlogit List] help request

Stephen Beville stephenbeville at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 14:04:34 EST 2010

Edoardo,

This problem is easily solved.  Drop the ! and # from your FCN code and if
you want all 3 covariates to enter the model (heterogeneity in the variance,
do not ascribe any binary coding.  However if you want to restrict some
covariates from appearing give these a 0, and in this case the coding must
follow |#.

For example.

For all covariates to enter the model use the following code

HFR = INCOME, FAMILY, URBAN
FCN = GC(N), TTIME (N)

If you don't want family to enter, use:

HFR = INCOME, FAMILY, URBAN
FCN = GC(N|#101), TTIME (N|#101)

BTW-as a credit to the manual, and the writers of the manual, this
information is all in there.

Cheers,
Stephen Beville

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 11:22 AM, Edoardo Marcucci <emarcucci at uniroma3.it>wrote:

> Dear Limdep users,
>
> We would like to ask a question concerning a problem we have
> encountered and are not able to solve. The manual is not very helpful
> on this specific point.
>
> We are trying to estimate  a random parameter model with heterogeneity
> in variance attributable to choice-invariant characteristics.
>
> the manual (N17-26) shows the code for the heterogeneity both in mean
> and variance together
>
> RPL =  AGE, SEX;
> HFR = INCOME, FAMILY, URBAN;
> FCN = GC(N), TTIME (N|#01!101)
>
> WE WOULD LIKE TO STUDY ONLY HETEROGENEITY IN VARIANCE.
>

> FOLLOWING THIS EXAMPLE,
>
> RPL;
> HFR = INCOME, FAMILY, URBAN;
>
> ... WE DO NOT KNOW HOW TO CODE FCN.
>
> WE HAVE TRIED BOTH:
> (WE ACTUALLY USED U INSTEAD OF N)
>
> 1) FCN = GC(N), TTIME (N|!101)
> 2)FCN = GC(N), TTIME (N|#!101)
>
> but in both cases we could not run the model.
>
> More in detail:
> -  in the first case, the error message was "ERROR 1071: In FCN =
> name(type|value), invalid value was found."
> -  in the second case, the error message was "ERROR 1071: the #dddd
> format is used when ; RPL= list is present"
>

> Any help on this point is much appreciated.
>
> best regards
> ========================
> Edoardo Marcucci
> DIPES -
> Università degli Studi di Roma Tre
> Via G. Chiabrera, 199 - 00145 ROMA
> tel. ++39  0657335294
> fax. ++39 0657335282
> cell. ++39 3316876905
> mail edoardo.marcucci at uniroma3.it

> Limdep at limdep.itls.usyd.edu.au

Stephen Beville

Postdoctoral Fellow
Crawford School of Economics and Government
The Australian National University
Canberra ACT 0200
AUSTRALIA
O: 61 261254443