[Limdep Nlogit List] probit vs. semiparametric model

William Greene wgreene at stern.nyu.edu
Wed Sep 30 20:15:34 EST 2009

Jadwiga:
(1) There is no test statistic for "testing" a parametric specification
against a semiparametric one. They are not estimating the same thing and
they are not maximizing the same criterion function.  The models are not
nested in any sense save for the "space" of models in the parametric
case is narrower than that for the semiparametric one.
(2) You can provide your own starting values for the Klein and Spady model.
But, to do so, make sure you put the constant term, ONE, last in your
RHS list. Then, also assume that the starting value for the constant term
must be 0.0 and the starting value for the second to last coefficient,
just before the constant term, must be 1.0.
/Bill Greene