[Limdep Nlogit List] PSM estimation defaults

Jill Caviglia-Harris jlcaviglia-harris at salisbury.edu
Tue Sep 15 06:42:45 EST 2009

Bill:

Thanks for your response.  Based on this I am a little confused by my
output.  I may be interpreting the off-support incorrectly...   The
following are estimations of the ATT based on the same probit
estimations of the PSM (with the same data) and use the 'nearest
neighbor,' 'range' (caliper) and 'kernel,' in that order, - each
includes a different number of treated observations. The results read as
follows:

For the nearest neighbor (we have a total of 24 treated - all
included)
| Number of Treated observations =     24  Number of controls =     15
|
| Estimated Average Treatment Effect   =       4.270833
|
| Estimated Asymptotic Standard Error  =        .810050
|
| t statistic (ATT/Est.S.E.)           =       5.272308
|
| Confidence Interval for ATT = (     2.683135  to       5.858531) 95%
|
| Average Bootstrap estimate of ATT    =       4.003685
|
| ATT - Average bootstrap estimate     =        .267148

For the range (caliper) - again we have a total of 24 treated - 12 are
included
| Number of Treated observations =     12  Number of controls =     95
|
| Estimated Average Treatment Effect   =       1.898789
|
| Estimated Asymptotic Standard Error  =        .701460
|
| t statistic (ATT/Est.S.E.)           =       2.706909
|
| Confidence Interval for ATT = (      .523927  to       3.273651) 95%
|
| Average Bootstrap estimate of ATT    =       1.876323
|
| ATT - Average bootstrap estimate     =        .022466

for the kernel - - we have a total of 24 treated - only 20 are used (on
support) - is that what this means?
| Number of Treated observations =     20  Number of controls =    169
|
| Estimated Average Treatment Effect   =       3.565033
|
| Estimated Asymptotic Standard Error  =        .900702
|
| t statistic (ATT/Est.S.E.)           =       3.958062
|
| Confidence Interval for ATT = (     1.799658  to       5.330408) 95%
|
| Average Bootstrap estimate of ATT    =       3.173718
|
| ATT - Average bootstrap estimate     =        .391314

If the kernel methods uses all of the treated observations to estimate
the ATT should the above read 24 and not 20?

Thanks.  -Jill

Jill Caviglia-Harris
Associate Professor
Economics and Finance Department
Salisbury University
Salisbury, MD 21801
(410) 548-5591

>>> William Greene <wgreene at stern.nyu.edu> 9/11/2009 6:35 PM >>>
Jill.
There are three candidates for deciding who is a nearby observation,
'nearest neighbor,' 'kernel,' or 'range' (caliper). But, all of the
treated observations are used. There is no "trimming" built into the
program. You are right about the bandwidth for the kernel approach;
the default is .06.  If you (the user) supply a value between .001
and .250 using ;Smooth=value, then that value is used instead.
Regards,
Bill Greene