[Limdep Nlogit List] FRONTIER command : Battese & Coelli 95 model

Zhi Shen Z.Shen at lboro.ac.uk
Fri Oct 2 22:41:43 EST 2009

Dear Barry,

In Limdep, model=bc is the command for modeling Battese and Coelli (1992) time varying inefficiency model in which a monotonic time trend is specified to inefficiency term, written as u(i,t)=exp(eta(t-T))|U(i)|. If you want to use Battese and Coelli (1995) model to examine the impact of firm specific factors on mean of inefficiency instead, u have use model=t; rh2=one, time trend,... and other factors. I don't think the model command for Battese and Coelli (1992) model will recognize the command rh2=one, time trend, ..., at least not in my sample experience. You can have a try.

To go further, if you also want to consider the possible impact of these firm specific factors in the variances of inefficiency (heteroscedasticity), you have to use Battese and Coelli (1995) model. The basic commands are

frontier;(cost);lhs=dependent variables;rhs=independent variables;
    ;model=truncation;rh2=one,z variables             ? z variables in mean of uit
    ;het;hfu=one, z variables                        ? z variables in variance of inefficiency uit
    ;pds=_groupti;eff=uibc $

If you want to consider heteroscedasticity in random error term, you can add in commands
    ;hfv=z variables                               ? z variables in variance of random error vit

Hope it helps. Good luck!

Zhi Shen
Research student
Department of Economics