[Limdep Nlogit List] LM, LR and Wald tests in heteroscedastic selection model

Jadwiga Kostrzewska dwakotki at wp.pl
Thu May 28 02:15:42 EST 2009

Dear Professor,

>The LM test is probably not best because the starting
> values actually used are not the constrained MLEs for your model.
> The starting values for the probit model are not the MLEs subject
> to the restriction you are testing - they are also computed assuming
> RHO=0.
That means that I can not also use the LM test to verify the hypothesis
about the statistically significance of the subset of explanatory
variables in the regression equation in the selection model
(homoscedastic). Am I right? (I have used it incorrectly, I think).

Does another starting values for the probit equation change anything? I
try with:
PROBIT;LHS=SEL;RHS=W;HOLD$
SELECT;LHS=ZAL;RHS=XW;MLE$
CALC;KW=COL(W)$
MATRIX;STARTPRO=B(1:KW)$

PROBIT;LHS=SEL;RHS=W;HOLD$
SELECT;LHS=ZAL;RHS=XW;HFN=XHBA;MLE$
CALC;LOGL0=LOGL;ODCH=S;RORO=RHO$
CALC;J3=COL(XW)+COL(XHBA);J5=COL(AXH);STSW=COL(AXH)$
MATRIX;START1=B(1:J3)$

PROBIT;LHS=SEL;RHS=W;START=STARTPRO;RST=KW_();HOLD$
SELECT;LHS=ZAL;RHS=XW;HFN=XHHIP;MLE;START=START1,J5_0,ODCH,RORO;MAXIT=0$
and the results are identical.

> I can't say for sure the Wald test is right either - there is
> some code missing.
I was wondering what may be missing, so I have checked the results of my
procedure for the selection model with heterosced. and the results of
the Wald test via command:
 PROBIT; Lhs=SEL; Rhs=W; Hold$
 SELECT; Lhs=ZAL; Rhs=XW; Hfn=XH; MLE;
	test: b(....)=0,...$
The results are exactly the same. By the way, how many restriction can I
put in LimDep in 'test: ...' command? (I have a lot of variables so I
had to write my own procedure.)

When I am testing less variables then

Regards,
Jadwiga Kostrzewska

Dnia 24-05-2009 o godz. 18:10 William Greene napisał(a):
> Jadwiga. I do not see enough to know for sure that you have set up
> the procedures correctly. But, I would say that your best bet is the
> LR test. The LM test is probably not best because the starting
> values actually used are not the constrained MLEs for your model.
> The starting values for the probit model are not the MLEs subject
> to the restriction you are testing - they are also computed assuming
> RHO=0.  I can't say for sure the Wald test is right either - there is
> some code missing. But, based on what I see, as noted, I would say
> the LR test is the safe one.
> Regards,
> Bill Greene

Relacja ze spotkania z aktorami i twórcami filmu
TERMINATOR: OCALENIE
Paryż 2009-> czytaj blooga
http://klik.wp.pl/?adr=http%3A%2F%2Fterminator4.bloog.pl%2F%3Fpodglad%3D1&sid=746