[Limdep Nlogit List] Inverting AR Coefficients

William Greene wgreene at stern.nyu.edu
Sun Aug 23 12:18:30 EST 2009

David.
I'd love to take credit for the result that every AR(P) model can
be turned into an AR(1) model by writing it as a VAR. But, someone
else taught it to me - I think George Box. One place you can find
the result used to great advantage is in the ARCH literature in the
derivations of the equilibrium (long run) variances.
   In any event, you are correct about the equilibrium multiplier
in the one equation. It is, indeed, Sum(b(j) / [1 - Sum(a(i))] assuming
the stationarity condition, which is as you note, with an obvious notation.
As for coding it, you can do it trivially, and get an asymptotic standard
error for the result by using a WALD command after you fit the
regression. Since it's only a single line command, I guess you could
say it's already in the program. It does require a very small amount of
programming.
/Bill Greene