[Limdep Nlogit List] Deviance for unconditional fixed effects negative binomial regression model

William Greene wgreene at stern.nyu.edu
Sat Aug 15 04:01:22 EST 2009

Richard. It is true that the parameter estimated by limdep is
the reciprocal of the overdispersion parameter in C&Ts treatment.
It is also true that limdep estimates all P individual constant
terms and does not fit an overall constant. For your purposes,
this is a moot point because the Hausman test is not valid in this
context. I suggest you do the equivalent test by adding the group
means of the time varying variables to the RE model and testing the
joint significance.
In your computation of the deviance measure, you have negelected
a trick that will make it a whole lot more elegant.

? Calculate lambda[i]. This notation for lambda is coming
? from Allison and Waterman ("Fixed-Effects Negative Binomial
? Regression Models", Sociological Methodology 32:247-265, 2003.)
? It differs from the parameterization in the LIMDEP manual.
? 'mu_i' below is actually 'lambda_i' in the LIMDEP manual.
?  Also potentially confusing to someone reading this code:
? when I'm calculating deviance: mu and y are person-years in
? my case and differ within individuals (mu_it, y_it), whereas
? the overdispersion parameter lambda is assumed to be the same
? from one year to the next for any given individual but may
? vary from one individual to the next, so it's just lambda_i.

create; lambdai = exp(alphafe(_stratum)) $
create; di = (y = 0) $ (equals 1 if y=0 and 0 if y>0)
create; deviance = 0 $
create; if(lambdai > 0)
        deviance=y*(log(y+di)-log(mui)) -
                 (y+lambdai)*(log(y+lambdai)-log(mui+lambdai)) $
calc ; list ; sum(deviance) $

/Bill Greene