[Limdep Nlogit List] Inverting AR Coefficients

William Greene wgreene at stern.nyu.edu
Thu Aug 6 05:16:29 EST 2009

David.
You write the system in its AR(1) form as follows:
Y(t) = [y(t),y(t-1)]'
X(t-1) = [x(t-1),x(t-2)]
A = [b1,b2 / 1,0]  B = [b3,b4 / 0,0].
Then,
Y(t) = AY(t-1) + BX(t-1) + E(t).
Skipping a couple lines of algebra, the MA form is then
Y(t) = BX(t-1) + ABX(t-1) + A^2BX(t-3) + ...
The symbolic representation of the coefficients in
B, AB, Z^2B, etc. will be a mess. But, numerically, it's
easy.  Also, if you are looking for the equilibrium multipliers
to compute standard errors for,
That is C = [I - A]^-1B.
Note, unfortunately, since A is not symmetric, this will not
be simple to deal with. But, it is how to handle the computations.
If you have variances and covariances for the terms in A and B,
you should be able to deduce a variance matrix for X.
Regards,
Bill Greene