[Limdep Nlogit List] Problem with Inclusive Value parameterinNested Logit Model.

ho quoc Chinh hoqchinh at yahoo.com.vn
Mon Apr 13 13:49:38 EST 2009

Dear Duggal,
Again, thank you very much for your consideration and beautiful suggestion on our model. I am trying specifying the model in such the way that you proposed. However, there are things that I did not clearly understand.
1. The response variable has form of individual data (i.e. it recieves the value of 1 if the corresponding bundle is chosen and 0 otherwise). Moreover, the population proportions are unknown. In such the case, how could we weight the model by using NLOGIT? (What is the variable should be used for the command ;Wts=?)
2. Estimate a degenerate model: you proposed a model with all of the braches are degeneracy. In this case, Neted Logit model collapses to MNL model and we do not have scale parameter for any of the braches any more (all of the IV parameters will receive the value of 1.0 due to degeneracy if RU2 is used. In the cases of RU1 or NNNL, NLOGIT could not estimate the model since the starting value is also the solution). Below is the Note of NLOGIT:

''NOTE: Convergence in initial iterations is rarely
at a true function optimum. This may not be a
solution (especially if initial iterations stopped).
Exit from iterative procedure.    1 iterations completed.
Check convergence values shown below.
Gradient value: Tolerance= .1000D-04, current value= .5647D-09
Function chg. : Tolerance= .0000D+00, current value= .2545D+05
Parameters chg: Tolerance= .0000D+00, current value= .4961D-08
Smallest abs. param. change from start value = .0000D+00
At least one parameter did not leave start value.
Normal exit from iterations. Exit status=0.''

Thus, how can we aggregate bundle choices into a more "appropriate" nested structure based on how close the scale parameters are for each of the 8 alternatives?
3. The model with IV parameter of NOCAR branch constrained to be equal to 1.0 works well with acceptable IV parameter for CAR branch. I am now finding effects of the constraint on coefficient estimates as well as standart errors.

Best regards,
HO, Quoc Chinh.

Nagoya University, school of engineering
Faculty of Civil Engineering.

Email:   hoqchinh at yahoo.com.vn
            chinh at trans.civil.nagoya-u.ac.jp

--- Thứ 2, 13/04/09, Mausam Duggal <DuggalM at mmm.ca> đã viết: