[Limdep Nlogit List] Trouble with Excel 2007

Jill Caviglia-Harris jlcaviglia-harris at salisbury.edu
Mon Sep 29 07:53:56 EST 2008

Thanks.

Jill Caviglia-Harris
Associate Professor
Economics and Finance Department
Salisbury University
Salisbury, MD 21801
(410) 548-5591
Jill Caviglia-Harris wrote:
> List Serve Subscribers:
>
> I am having a significant amount of trouble reading files that have
been created in Excel 2007.  Saving as 2003 version does not seem to
work - yet I can read the files I created in the 2003 version prior to
switching to Excel 2007.  The other option is to save as a csv file -
but it is my understanding that the csv read requires that you enter in
the variables names by hand - this is not useful as the data I am
reading changes often (names of variables and order in which they are
included).  I have tried the names=n and labels=1 commands but cannot
seem to be able to read in the variable names from the csv version.

Dear Jill,

This seems to be a known issue due to changes in file structure Excel
2007 introduced. Even if you save a file as Excel 2003 in Excel 2007 it
would not work. In practice I send the excel file to a machine with any
office prior to 2007 just to open the file and save it. Alternatively
you might go through .txt format, it looses variable names as you have
noticed.

Best regards,

--
     Mikołaj Czajkowski