[Limdep Nlogit List] Testing heterosc. sample selection model

William Greene wgreene at stern.nyu.edu
Wed Oct 8 23:57:04 EST 2008

JK. Interesting question.  The reason for the discrepancy is as follows:
The maximum likelihood estimator for the homoscedasticity model as you
have specified it is reestimating the probit equation. You will notice
that the output for this model includes results for the probit equation.
The MLE for the heteroscedasticity model is a two step estimator that does
not reestimate the probit equation. It uses the previously computed
probit model as is.  Thus, the output for it does not
include a set of results for the probit equation. Unfortunately, that means
that your strategy for testing for heteroscedasticity won't produce
the right results.  What you can do, as you suggested below, is constrain
the parameters in the variance equation to equal zero in the
heteroscedasticity model, using Rst=kxw_b,0,b19,b20.  I think, however,
that if you have more than one variable in the XH namelist, you need
to change the list in this restriction. In any event, this will get you
an appropriate test statistic.
Regards,
Bill Greene