[Limdep Nlogit List] Model structure for nlogit

Caroline B. Theoharides cbtheo at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 08:48:39 EST 2008

Hello,

I apologize in advance for the simplicity of my question.  I'm a very
new user of LimDep/NLogit.  I'm currently trying to run a two level
nested logit model in NLogit.  However, my results differ dramatically
from the results I previously attained using -nlogit- in Stata 10 (rum
estimation).  In order to try to figure this out, I brought the clogit
project data from NLogit into Stata.  However, I still can't seem to
rectify the issue.

I'm running the following code in NLogit:
NLogit ;Lhs = mode
     ;Choices = air, train, bus, car
     ;Tree = travel[fly(air),ground(train,bus,car)]
     ;show tree
     ;Rhs = invc,invt, gc
     ;Rh2 =one hinc$

I'm running this in Stata:
nlogit mode invt invc gc|| fly_ground: hinc || type:, case(id)

NB: id is simply a variable I created to identify the groups (from
aasc, basc, tasc, and casc).  fly_ground is the categorical variable
that identifies the level 1 decision for fly or ground transportation.

The tree structure and observation counts match.  My hunch is that the
problem is with the way I'm defining constants.  I've tried a variety
of constant specifications in both NLogit and Stata without success.

Thank you for your assistance,
Caroline