[Limdep Nlogit List] error message

Philomela at gmx.net Philomela at gmx.net
Tue Jan 22 22:04:14 EST 2008

Hi everyone!
I have the following problem:
I entered 167 respondents with each 6 choice sets in an excel sheet and imported it in Nlogit (4009 observations, 39 variables). Then i tried to get the following logit model:

nlogit
;lhs= choice, cset, alti
;choices= tap, public, borehole, other
; model:
U(tap) = asctap +  tapdist*tapdist + frequ1*frequ1 + frequ2*frequ2 + tapcons*consumpt + tapp*price/
U(public) = ascpublic + pubdist1*pubdist1 + pubdist2*pubdist2 + pubcons*consumpt + wait1*wait1 + pubp*price/
U(borehole) = borecons*consumpt + pump*pump + borep*price $

the following error occured:
Error  1004: Number of observations not a multiple of # of alternatives.
  Error  1004: Number of observations not a multiple of # of alternatives.

Because I could not find any mistakes in the data, I divided my data into two parts ( 80 and 87 respondents) and tried the model for each part separately: both models were working perfectly- no error message.

Is the full data set too big or what can I do so that the model runs?

Thank you very much!
Philomela