[Limdep Nlogit List] Regression and Minimize

William Greene wgreene at stern.nyu.edu
Tue Oct 23 01:19:29 EST 2007

The reason that the standard errors are not the same is that
MINIMIZE does not know that the second derivatives are supposed
to be scaled by the sum of squares.  If you want to replicate
OLS with a nonlinear optimizer, you should use NLSQ.  Even if so,
the standard errors will not be identical to OLS, but they will
be close.  NLSQ is going to use use the outer products of the
derivatives, then scale the OPG matrix appropriately.
/Bill Greene