[Limdep Nlogit List] A selection qeustion--a quick follow-up

William Greene wgreene at stern.nyu.edu
Fri Oct 19 05:24:16 EST 2007

Fred (and all).  The Terza JAE (2002) paper is a FIML estimator for
the MNL model with selection that was queried in the first email. The
use of the Taylor series in this paper was to describe an alternative
approach by Mullahy and Sindelar.  I am current working on an implementation
of the model in LIMDEP, but am not ready to say it is complete. The
Terza and Kenkel (2001) paper is a formal sample selection model for
counts that derives the appropriate conditional mean function for the
Poisson variable under selection, and estimates it by nonlinear least
squares. It does not use an IMR approach.  Terza and I developed the
FIML estimator for this model simultaneously (to some extent, jointly)
in the early 1990s.  It is currently fully implemented in LIMDEP; however,
being a model for counts, it is not helpful to this discussion.
  The Boyes, Hoffman and Low paper describes the bivariate probit model
with sample selection that has been fully implemented in LIMDEP since
about 1992.  Likewise the Poirier model on partial observability, which
is one of several forms of this model.  The LIMDEP manual contains
extensive documentation on all of these models.  FIML estimators for all
of them are incorporated in LIMDEP.  They do not use IMRs.  On the other
hand, neither are these helpful; they are not the model that was queried
about.  As Fred points out, the modeling of the joint distribution of the
disturbances that is used in the probit and Heckman linear models does not
carry over to the multinomial logit model, so the problem remains.
   The business of the standard errors of MLEs in these models relying
on suspect asymptotic results is a canard.  The idea that the Bayesian
estimators somehow get everything right and the MLE doesn't has two flaws,
notwithstanding all the other problems listed: (1) If the sample is
at all large, and that does not have to be excessively so, though the
typical application does use a big sample, then the asymptotics for these
models are fine, and, in fact, they are very well behaved.  I and many
others have been using them for a couple decades.  Moreover, even in a
moderately sized sample, unless one has a very strong prior - and that
would taint the results - the Bayesian estimates are generally close
to identical to the MLEs (a theorem of Bernstein and von Mises is at work).
Indeed, it is a signal that something is wrong when the Bayesian
estimate deviates too much from the MLE.  After all, if the sample is
relatively large, the log likelihood is nearly symmetric and unimodal
(central limit theorem), so the mode (MLE) and the mean (posterior mean)
coincide.
(2) If the sample is so
small that these criticisms would have any relevance -- and we would be
talking about small 2 digit sample sizes, then the fact that the Bayesian
estimators have exact small sample properties is a flaw not a virtue. The
results are posterior to just the sample data, and can't be extended beyond
the small sample in hand. But, it is a heroic (and very classical) assumption
that somehow this small sample tells you the story about the whole
population you are trying to characterize.

/Bill Greene