[Limdep Nlogit List] A selection qeustion--a quick follow-up

Christer.Thrane at hil.no Christer.Thrane at hil.no
Thu Oct 18 16:24:04 EST 2007

Hi,

If the the second "choice" involves three outcomes (and not two) - that
is, if you have a multinomial regression model with sample selection (and
only indeps describing the choosers) - how do I estimate this?

My own suggestion thus far is:

1. Estimate selection equation with probit or logit

2. Obtain Inverse Mills' Ratio, IMR, from 1.

3. Add IMR to the list of indpendent variables in the multinomial
regressinon using robust SE's

Is this reasonable?

BR

Christer

Professor Christer Thrane <christer.thrane at hil.no>
Lillehammer University College
Postboks 952
2604 Lillehammer
Norway
+47 61 28 81 70 (fax)  | +47 61 28 82 47 (phone, work)
+47 92 29 54 39 (cell) | +47 61 25 53 04 (phone, private)

William Greene <wgreene at stern.nyu.edu>
Sent by: limdep-bounces at limdep.itls.usyd.edu.au
18.10.2007 02:17
Please respond to
Limdep and Nlogit Mailing List <limdep at limdep.itls.usyd.edu.au>

cc

Subject
Re: [Limdep Nlogit List] A selection qeustion

Dear Professor Tchetchik:  The "Bivariate Probit with Selection" model
that
you describe below has been available in LIMDEP for many years.  The
program
contains a full information maximum likelihood estimator.  You can find
discussion of the model in my textbook, Econometric Analysis, in the
chapter on discrete choice models.
Sincerely,
William Greene, developer.

--