[Limdep Nlogit List] help with error 590: logminus

loper at UDel.Edu loper at UDel.Edu
Sat Oct 13 06:01:08 EST 2007

Dear all,

I am trying to estimate a couple of different double bounded dichotomous choice models and keep getting the same error message for both models.  Has anyone received this before?

Error   590: Obs.=     1 Cannot compute function: Logminus

I know there is not an issue with the first observation.  Perhaps it is trying to take the log of a negative number?

The code that I am using for the simpler model is below; it was adapted from a model that Alessandro Corsi posted to the listserv in 2006.

Any suggestions or guidance are welcome!

--> create;
   yy= (i1=1)*(i2=1);
   ny= (i1=0)*(i2=1);
   yn= (i1=1)*(i2=0);
   nn= (i1=0)*(i2=0)$
--> maximize; labels=b1,b2; start=0,0;

[note: I get the error no matter what starting values I use]
[a= bid 1, ah= higher bid, al=lower bid]

;fcn=
   xxh= -b1+b2*ah |
   pyy=log(phi(-xxh))  |
   xxx=-b1+b2*a  |