[Limdep Nlogit List] bivariate probit selection

William Greene wgreene at stern.nyu.edu
Wed Nov 28 11:28:34 EST 2007

And,..
There is an appendix in the original Heckman (1979) Econometrica
paper on selection that deals with simultaneous equations. It's
not hardwired in LIMDEP now. But, it should not be too hard to
program the computations he describes there. Do note that in the
original paper, Jim did not use several now well known matrix
results that greatly simplify the problem of computing the standard
errors, so the results in his paper look more complicated than
they really are.
I would note, the application you mentioned has a binary endogenous
variable (marital status). In such a case, the Heckman results on
2sls with the selection correction won't apply. You would want an
MLE instead.  I have never worked this out, but I suspect it is
moderately, though not extremely, high on the difficulty scale.
Maybe a two (two + two?) step estimator that begins with a probit
model for the endogenous dummy variable and the computation of
predicted probabilities... (just thinking "out loud")
Cheers,
Bill Greene