[Limdep Nlogit List] Nlogit crosstab question

Iain Pardoe ipardoe at lcbmail.uoregon.edu
Fri May 11 02:40:22 EST 2007

(Apologies if this post appears twice - it didn't seem to go through the
first time I sent it.)

I'm getting some apparently anomalous results using the crosstab
command.  In particular, I'm obtaining crosstab results that don't
appear to match predicted probability results (obtained using list).
For example, on page N3-21 of the nlogit3 manual the numbers of correct
(within-sample) predictions for the transportation data are given along
the matrix crosstab diagonal as 34 air, 39 train, 17 bus, and 30 car
(for the invc, invt, gc, ttme, a_air, a_train, a_bus model).  But, if I
count up the */+ (actual/prediction) co-occurrences  from a listing of
the predicted probabilities, I get 39 air, 44 train, 23 bus, and 46 car.

Here's my code:

NLOGIT ; Lhs = MODE
       ; Choices = Air,Train,Bus,Car
       ; Rhs = INVC,INVT,GC,TTME
       ; Rh2 = ONE
       ; Crosstab
       ; List $

More than likely I'm misunderstanding something obvious, but I would be
grateful if someone could enlighten me.

Best wishes, Iain

Iain Pardoe <ipardoe at lcbmail.uoregon.edu>
Assistant Professor of Decision Sciences
Charles H. Lundquist College of Business
1208 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-1208, USA
Ph: 541-346-3250, Fax: 541-346-3341
http://lcb1.uoregon.edu/ipardoe