[Limdep Nlogit List] MNP estimation by LIMDEP

Yusak Susilo yo_susilo at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 16 20:47:55 EST 2007

Dear All,

I hope all is well with you. I have a problem in
estimating a Multinomial Probit (MNP) model with
LIMDEP.

I am trying to fit a MNP model of car ownership having
as options 0, 1, 2 and 3 or more cars.

When I tried the default run without altering st.div.
and correlations, I got a message that the correlation
coefficient was not within the -1<r<1 range.

Then, I used another estimation procedure altering the
structure of the covariance-correlation matrix as
shown below.

The message I got this time was saying that something
was divided by zero and the program had to close.

I would appreciate it if you provide any insight on
this problem.
For your information, I also attach the LIMDEP command
below.

Thank you very much for your help in advance.

Best regards,
Yusak

NLOGIT

; LHS = DECISION
; CHOICES = NO, ONEC, TWOC, THREEC
; MODEL:
	U(NO, ONEC, TWOC, THREEC) =

<0, ONECAR, TWOCAR, THREE> +
?---------------------------------------------- TYPE
OF DWELLING
<0, SFHOUSE1, SFHOUSE2, SFHOUSE3> * SFHOUSE +
? ----------------------------------------------NUMBER
OF WORKERS
< 0, WORKER1, WORKER2, WORKER3> * WRKCOUNT +
?
-----------------------------------------------HOUSEHOLD
INCOME: BASE
LINC (INC<30K)
<0, INCL801, INCL802, INCL803> * INCL80K +
<0, INCM801, INCM802, INCM803> * INCM80K +
?-----------------------------------------------HOUSEHOLD
LIFE-CYCLES:
BASE SINGLE (1 ADULT PERSON)
<0,COUPLE1, COUPLE2, COUPLE3>* COUPLE +
<0, SPAR1, SPAR2, SPAR3> * SPARENT +
<0, CCHILD1, CCHILD2, CCHILD3> * CCHILD +
<0, RETIRE1, RETIRE2, RETIRE3> * RETIRED +
<0, CAUCAS1, CAUCAS2, CAUCAS3> * CAUCAS +
?--------------------------------------------------------------------------
RESIDENTIAL DENSITY
<0, RESDN1, RESDN2, RESDN3> * HBHRESDN
; MNP
; sdv = 1, 1, sigma3, sigma4
; cor = 0, 0, R21, 0, R13, R23
;PTS = 100$

Dr. Yusak O. Susilo
OTB Research Institute for Housing, Urban and Mobility
Studies
Delft University of Technology
PO Box 5030
2600 GA Delft