[Limdep Nlogit List] Panel count data with binary endogenousregressor

Ringquist, Evan eringqui at indiana.edu
Fri Jun 8 00:30:17 EST 2007

Hi Corey:

Except in rare instances, the IV approach to selection bias is
unnecessary (and inadvisable) with panel data.  Traditional fixed
effects and difference-in-difference models have essentially the same
effect in panel data as the IV approach does with cross sectional data.
Useful references here are Heckman and Hotz (JASA 1989), the Heckman and
Robb chapter in Heckman and Singer, eds. (Cambridge University Press
1985), and Wooldridge (J of Econometrics 1995).  Wooldridge (2002) is a
nice introductory textbook presentation of addressing selectivity with
panel data, and his website has some useful working papers on the
subject.  My guess is that you'll end up estimating something like a DID
or DIDID Negbin model.  I don't know of any technical presentations of
these models, but I'm sure they are out there.  Good luck!

ER

Evan J. Ringquist, Professor
School of Public and Environmental Affairs
Indiana University
1315 E. 10th St.
Bloomington, IN 47405
812.855.0732