[Limdep Nlogit List] NLOGIT command or data construction(No.3)

John Rose johnr at itls.usyd.edu.au
Mon Aug 13 16:43:22 EST 2007

Hi Hiroshi

I have a quick question, related to your experiment: was the fourth alternative shown to all respondents. That is, is it a no-choice alternative that everyone saw, or did some respondents not see that alternative at all?

If it is a no choice alternative, then your original set-up is okay. You will simply need to not include the attributes in your model utility functions. If some respondents did not see this alternative at all, then the cset should be 3 and the row with alti = 4 should not be present at all within your data.

John

Dear Prof. Rose, thanks a lot for your guidence.

Here is the result. All data are seemingly read as supposed.
ID: individual respondents
Variable Mean Std.Dev. Minimum Maximum Cases
ID 48.5000000 27.7149183 1.00000000 96.0000000 3840
ALTI 2.50000000 1.11817959 1.00000000 4.00000000 3840
CSET 4.00000000 .000000000 4.00000000 4.00000000 3840
CHOICE .250000000 .433069095 .000000000 1.00000000 3840

So as the next step reading page 228-229 in GRH book,
I am wondering if I need to rearrange the dataset.

For example,
My original dataset is this.

  Id, Alti, Cset,choice,place, do tr, price
> 1    1     4    0      4     2   2    2
> 1    2     4    1      1     1   1    6
> 1    3     4    0      2     3   2    2
> 1    4     4    0      0     0   0    0.......none
 the alternative using plece=3 is not in this choice set.

Then do I need to convert like this?
id alti cset choice place do tr price
place1 01 1 5 1 1 1 1 6
place 2 01 2 5 0 2 3 2 2
place3 01 3 5 0 3 ?? ?? ??
place4 01 4 5 0 4 2 2 2
None 01 5 5 0 -999 -999 -999 -999
But if so what value do I need to fill out for "??" for "place3".
Might be -999?

Hiroshi

John Rose wrote;

Email: kameyama at ag.kagawa-u.ac.jp