[Limdep Nlogit List] Question about RPL in Nlogit [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Laplagne, Patrick plaplagne at pc.gov.au
Tue Oct 31 17:47:01 EST 2006

Hi all,

I am estimating the following Random Parameters Logit model (with panel
data) of four nominal labour market outcomes (F = full-time; P =
part-time; U = unemployed; N = not in the labour force):

NLOGIT;
LHS=OUTCOME;
CHOICES=F,P,U,N ;
RH2=ONE,X2,X3,X5,X6,X7,X8,X9,X10,X11,X12,X13,X14,X16,X17,X18,X19,X20,X21
,X22,X23,X24,X25,X26,X28,X29,X30,X31,X32,X33,X34,X35;
RPL;
CORRELATION;
FCN=A_F(N),A_P(N),A_U(N);
PDS=COUNT;
PTS=250;
MAXIT=250;
HALTON $

Following estimation, I generate individual predicted probabilities:

PROB = PREDOUT ;

I also simulate proportions of the sample in each labour market state:

SIMULATION=F,P,U,N;

And I implement a scenario designed to generate the marginal effect of a
variable of interest:

SCENARIO: X2 = 0 & X2 = 1 $

The question I have is: how can I generate the standard errors of these
three postestimation results? That I can see, there is no way to get the
software to produce them automatically.

I am new to both RPL and Nlogit, and I may have missed the obvious. I
would be grateful if someone could point me to the relevant part of the
manual, or suggest a way to compute those standard errors by hand. If I
knew the formula for the predicted individual probabilities, I could
probably use bootstrapping to generate their standard errors and, from
there, I could calculate standard errors for the other results of
interest. However, I cannot find the formula for those RPL
probabilities. They differ from those under a standard multinomial
logit. Looking at the Nlogit manual on p. N7-2, it seems that the
probabilities require the 'extra' parameters estimated by the model,
i.e. those at the bottom of the coefficients table or the B vector. Is
that right? If so, how exactly are they incorporated into the
probability calculations in PROB?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Dr Patrick Laplagne
Research Manager