[Limdep Nlogit List] generalized residual of RE probit

William Greene wgreene at stern.nyu.edu
Fri Mar 24 10:59:13 EST 2006

Satu:  It's not a stupid question, but nor is it an easy one.  In the random
effects model (as in other models), the generalized residual is the derivative
with respect to the constant term.  This has to be computed by numerical
integration, as Vella and Verbeek note in the appendix to their paper.  The
problem, as you note, is computation of theta(i), which is done with Hermite
quadrature.  I can't vouch for the formula you give in this note, however. That
doesn't look right.  Either way, the computation you request is much more
involved than a simple plug in. I'm not sure there is a simple way to do it
with LIMDEP.  (There may be; the preceding suggests the direction you have
to look).
/B. Greene

Professor William Greene
Department of Economics