[Limdep Nlogit List] Re: Nested HEV via RP/SP?

Fred Feinberg feinf at umich.edu
Fri Apr 7 03:18:56 EST 2006

I found this note by David Hensher (below) from some time back, and it almost solved a problem a co-author and I are having.  We wish to estimate a scale ratio, but with each of the two branches in the nested logit as an HEV model.  That is, the standard deviation structure would look something like this:

    Option 1, RP:  Theta_1 = 1
    Option 2, RP:  Theta_2
    Option k, RP:  Theta_k

    Option 1, SP:  Sigma*1
    Option 2, SP:  Sigma*Theta_2
    Option k, SP:  Sigma*Theta_k

That is, in each branch, we have an HEV with standard deviations of Theta_1 = 1, Theta_2, ..., Theta_k, but that the scale ratio between the branches is Sigma.  The model would estimate
{Theta_2, ..., Theta_k} and Sigma.  We have been doing this iteratively, which is slow and cumbersome, and also fails to calculate the Hessian for the Sigma variable we are iterating across. I suspect there is a better way.  In short, can we do Nested HEV?  Many thanks,

Fred

=====

Prof. Fred Feinberg
Ross School of Business