[GPlates-discuss] Crustal stretching factor values

Linden, T.J.M. van der (Thomas) t.j.m.vanderlinden at uu.nl
Wed Oct 9 18:20:45 AEDT 2019

Hi all,

From the data provided with the Müller Tectonics June 2019 article I exported the CrustalStretchingFactors to further process.

The data contains values that go beyond my expectations. For instance at 10Ma the minimum is -99 and the maximum 235.
From the article I understand for β values greater than 1 represent extensional regions and values between 0 and 1 represent compressional regions.

There are 12 values below 0 and 16 above 10, which I realise is only a very small fraction of the 64001 points.

But two questions that remain:

  1.  Would it be safe to say the (very) high values are artefacts? For instance of the drawing of the topologies
  2.  How can values below 0 be explained? These seem fundamentally impossible.

Best from Berlin,
Thomas