[GPlates-discuss] Reverse reconstruction in pyGPlates

Ben Mather ben.mather at sydney.edu.au
Wed May 1 14:40:16 AEST 2019

Hi team!

This is quite a basic question... Say that I have some point data from 10 Ma that I want to move to 9Ma. Is there a simple way to do this? Currently I create a point feature, assign plate IDs from reconstructed polygons at 10 Ma, use pygplates.reverse_reconstruct to move the points to the present day location, then use pygplates.reconstruct to move them back to 9Ma.

I was expecting that pygplates.reverse_reconstruct would have an optional 'to' argument to accept times other than the present day, or perhaps the Feature class would have a 'set_reconstruction_time' method that would be compatible with the reconstruct function. Is there a suggested workflow for this that I haven't discovered?

Many thanks,
Ben

--
Dr. Ben Mather | Computational Geophysicist
Room 418, Madsen Building F09