[GPlates-discuss] GPlates package in Spack

Michael Kuhn michael.kuhn at informatik.uni-hamburg.de
Thu Jun 14 00:20:41 AEST 2018

Dear all,

I just wanted to let you know that a package for GPlates has just been
merged into Spack, a package manager for supercomputers.

Installing should be as easy as cloning the Spack repository and doing:
$ ./bin/spack install -v gplates

If you do not have a fitting compiler (GCC 4.9.4 seems to be the last
supported version), you need to do something like this first:
$ ./bin/spack install -v gcc at 4.9.4
$ ./bin/spack compiler find $(./bin/spack location -i gcc at 4.9.4)

This should be a nice way for people using unsupported Linux
distributions or those that want to compile GPlates themselves.

One small request: As part of creating the package, I figured out the
upper version bounds of some dependencies. It would be great if someone
could update the GPlates website and repository with those versions.
You can find them here (look for the depends_on statements):
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/QVftCBNZwLiJWlO4IzAiG3?domain=github.com

Moreover, a few more problems are documented in the package file (such
as GPlates not building in parallel, problems with FindPythonLibs and
the gplates binary only being installed for the Release target).

If you want to reply, please keep me CC'd as I am not subscribed to the
mailing list. If you have any suggestions for improvements, please let
me know. Thanks!

Best regards,
Michael
--