[GPlates-discuss] Defining mid-ocean ridges

John Cannon john.cannon at sydney.edu.au
Sun Apr 29 16:15:48 AEST 2018

Hi Bruce,

1)      Each ridge polyline segment can be in a different feature with the same name. Or can be a single feature containing multiple polyline segments with the same property name (eg, ‘gpml:centerLineOf’). Or it’s acceptable to join the ridge and transform segments into a single polyline.

2)      In general left/right indicates which side of the line you are on when following the order of points in the line (eg, if line goes South to North then left is West, and for North to South then left is East). This is how subduction polarity works – see (3). Ideally this should also be followed for mid-ocean ridges, but here the concept of left/right is also used for reconstruction. And it’s possible that the left/right plate IDs might, strictly speaking, be incorrect (ie, swapped such that the left plate ID corresponds to the right side, and right plate ID to left side) but you could still get the correct reconstruction provided the spreading asymmetry is also swapped (ie, negated). For symmetric spreading (ie, asymmetry is zero) this swapping won’t affect reconstruction.

3)      Subduction polarity indicates which side the over-riding plate is on (eg, if subduction zone line goes South to North and polarity is Left then over-riding plate is West and subducting plate is East).

There’s also a description of these features/properties at https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/TfbBCBNZwLivZvQWizcWta?domain=gplates.org , for example the MidOceanRidge at https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/f2_dCD1jy9tX6X2Ys55Aez?domain=gplates.org and subduction polarity at https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/T1KYCE8kz9tBABr4cp5MTc?domain=gplates.org

Regards,
John