[GPlates-discuss] Colour by appearance time...

John Cannon john.cannon at sydney.edu.au
Wed Sep 6 14:29:11 AEST 2017

> I have a shape file containing point data with PlateID and the age each point should appear. I however want to change the appearance of the points. Principally I want to make them much larger and make them retain a colour representative of their time of appearance, rather than the colour-age feature where the older a given feature gets the cooler the colour.

To colour by feature appearance times you can set up a colour style (in Manage Colouring dialog) by going to 'ColorByProperty' then selecting 'Add' and then specifying a palette file and a shapefile attribute to colour with.

The attached screenshot shows a colour style called AbsAge using the shapefile attribute FROMAGE (entered as "gpml:shapefileAttributes:FROMAGE") and a colour palette (CPT) file. This assumes your shapefile has a FROMAGE attribute (this is what GPlates uses by default to map to the appearance time of a feature).

Some example CPTs files are here...

https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/W91ABZie6RmlhX?domain=tectonicwaters.wordpress.com

To change the point sizes you can do that in the menu Tools > Configure Geometry Rendering, but it applies to all layers and is constant (ie, cannot change with appearance time).