[GPlates-discuss] Linking two or more rotation files

Christian.Heine at shell.com Christian.Heine at shell.com
Fri Jun 9 21:06:09 AEST 2017

> > Only the first rotation encountered is used - the second, third, etc,
> are simply rejected. This applies regardless of whether the stage
> rotations are different or not.
>
> ...I should clarify the current behaviour as the first rotation
> encountered *at the reconstruction time*. For example, if the first
> 926/901 rotation (sequence) covers the time period 60-190Ma and the second
> covers 50-200Ma, then the first rotation is used for times in the range
> 60-190Ma and the second is used for times in the ranges 50-60Ma and 190-
> 200Ma (ie, periods exclusive to the second rotation).

Ok, this helps a lot.

> This may not be what we want if we implement a priority system.  In other
> words, perhaps the priority system should discard an entire rotation
> sequence. For example, if the first 926/901 rotation (covering 60-190Ma)
> is the highest priority then the second 926/901 rotation (covering 50-
> 200Ma) is completely discarded. The result would be no 926/901 rotation
> outside 60-190Ma.

This could easily get out of control if you have even more rotations for the same plate pair across files so I think one needs to draw a line along what you suggest - ie limiting the merge to rotation sequences (for now). It might then also be easier to fix gaps/overlaps in the rotation sequences.

Cheers,
Christian