[GPlates-discuss] Colour by feature age: Keeping colour constant during reconstruction

Christian.Heine at shell.com Christian.Heine at shell.com
Wed Jan 11 21:31:08 AEDT 2017

Hi John,

> That's correct - the colouring will always be relative to the
> reconstruction time. And thanks for providing your colouring tutorial :)

Most welcome!

> > I guess one could also just point the ColorByProperty script to the
> "FROMAGE" here, thinking about it...
>
> Yes that works also. And is probably the easiest solution if you already
> have the ColorByProperty script.

OK

> > Is there a simpler way to do this?
>
> This isn't the simplest, but another alternative is to provide the
> following script (using a similar procedure, to add the script, as
> covered in your tutorial)...

[snip]

> ...perhaps calling it "AbsoluteAge.py". And make sure not to mix tabs and
> spaces... as I just did a few moments ago :-) ...

haha, beginner's mistake ;-)

> It's basically a minor modification to class FeatureAge in the existing
> "draw_style_demo.py" script that you can see in GPlates 1.5 (it's now
> stored inside the executable in GPlates 2.0 - so no longer visible).

Great - can confirm that your script works (did check for the space/tabs though :-) ), the beauty is that now only needs the CPT to be loaded and not the age attribute specified.

> In the future we will take another look at this sort of thing when
> symbology is implemented/improved to see investigate easier ways to do
> this (ie, without having to write a Python script).

Yep, cool.

One other question - the pygplates pages say that pygplates doesn't yet work on the built-in GPlates Python console, is this still the case in GPlates 2.0.x? I was trying something out yesterday and couldn't get pygplates to work in the console.

Thanks again,
Christian