[GPlates-discuss] Questions

Sabin Zahirovic sabin.zahirovic at sydney.edu.au
Sun Apr 23 11:00:57 AEST 2017

Hi Shaofeng,

Hope you are having a good weekend!

Can I ask what plate reconstruction you were using? If you are using the Seton et al (2012) reconstruction, then that model only goes back to 200 Ma. If you try to reconstruct at 201 Ma, you will get velocity artefacts as GPlates needs older rotations to interpolate the velocities. For example, if you need velocities at 200 Ma, GPlates will interpolate forward in time between 201 and 200 Ma. So if the rotation file cuts off at 200 Ma, the velocity at 200 Ma (and definitely at 201 Ma) may be too high. From memory, I think we extended rotations back to 201 Ma, so that velocities were valid for 200 Ma to present. If you are using another plate reconstruction, please let me know.

In terms of the issue you are using in CitcomS, that could be somewhat separate. If you need to induce slab breakoff, then you need to “interrupt” subduction in your plate reconstructions. If you are using slab assimilation, then you would turn that plate boundary into something else for a few Myr (perhaps an orogen if you are modelling suturing). If you are not using slab assimilation, then the main control here would be convergence velocities – which require changing the reconstructions.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Sabin

--
DR SABIN ZAHIROVIC | Postdoctoral Research Associate
School of Geosciences | Faculty of Science

THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
Rm 403, Madsen Building F09 | The University of Sydney | NSW | 2006
M +61 416 775 589 P +61 2 9351 3625
E sabin.zahirovic at sydney.edu.au<mailto:sabin.zahirovic at sydney.edu.au> | W http://www.earthbyte.org<http://www.earthbyte.org/> | R http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Sabin_Zahirovic
F https://www.facebook.com/earthbyte | T https://twitter.com/EarthByteGroup

Most recent publications:

Zahirovic, S., Matthews, K.J., Flament, N., Müller, R.D., Hill, K.C., Seton, M. and Gurnis, M., (2016), Tectonic evolution and deep mantle structure of the eastern Tethys since the latest Jurassic, Earth Science Reviews<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0012825216302872>, doi: 10.1016/j.earscirev.2016.09.005.

Zahirovic, S., N. Flament, R. D. Müller, M. Seton, and M. Gurnis (2016), Large fluctuations of shallow seas in low-lying Southeast Asia driven by mantle flow, Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems<https://www.researchgate.net/publication/306088667_Large_fluctuations_of_shallow_seas_in_low-lying_Southeast_Asia_driven_by_mantle_flow>, doi: 10.1002/2016GC006434.

CRICOS 00026A
This email plus any attachments to it are confidential. Any unauthorised use is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please delete it and any attachments.